[governance] The New Class: Civil Society Professionals?

Vittorio Bertola vb at bertola.eu
Fri May 23 12:51:51 EDT 2008

Jeanette Hofmann ha scritto:
>> Thus, the apparent reluctance to any significant and formalized
>> rotation mechanism in the membership of the IGF AG makes me think that
>
> Excuse me? Why did we go through all this trouble if there was no
> rotation mechanism? It cannot have escaped you that up to a third of all
> MAG members will be replaced later this year. Why else would you have
> applied for joining the MAG? It just takes a while to organize the
> rotation as it has to be coordinated with UN headquarters.

What is IMHO missing for the IGF to have a "significant and formalized
rotation mechanism" is:

- a clear commitment to stakeholder representation (even in non-rigid
terms, such as "not less than X and not more than Y from that
stakeholder group" with a loose definition of each stakeholder group);

- a clear commitment to diversity under various aspects (again, even in
non-rigid terms);

- an explicit term for each AG member, so that it is known when each
member expires and has to apply for reappointment.

I think that anything lacking those minimal requirements is not a
sufficiently transparent and accountable mechanism.

P.S. I would not call basic democracy requirements, such as letting
members of the AG be replaced after 2-3-4 years, "all this trouble".
--
vb.                   Vittorio Bertola - vb [a] bertola.eu   <--------
-------->  finally with a new website at http://bertola.eu/  <--------
     governance at lists.cpsr.org