[governance] The New Class: Civil Society Professionals?

Jeanette Hofmann jeanette at wzb.eu
Fri May 23 13:20:18 EDT 2008

Vittorio Bertola wrote:
> Jeanette Hofmann ha scritto:
>>> Thus, the apparent reluctance to any significant and formalized
>>> rotation mechanism in the membership of the IGF AG makes me think that
>>
>> Excuse me? Why did we go through all this trouble if there was no
>> rotation mechanism? It cannot have escaped you that up to a third of
>> all MAG members will be replaced later this year. Why else would you
>> have applied for joining the MAG? It just takes a while to organize
>> the rotation as it has to be coordinated with UN headquarters.
>
> What is IMHO missing for the IGF to have a "significant and formalized
> rotation mechanism" is:

It will pretty likely come to that should the IGF live beyond its 5
years life span as defined in the Tunis Agenda.

> - a clear commitment to stakeholder representation (even in non-rigid
> terms, such as "not less than X and not more than Y from that
> stakeholder group" with a loose definition of each stakeholder group);

We have discussed all that, also on this list. This is less easy to do
than it sounds. We couldn't even agree on this list how many groups or
categories of stakeholders we would need to fairly represent the
Internet world.

> - a clear commitment to diversity under various aspects (again, even in
> non-rigid terms);

Again, this sounds nice but I don't imagine that there would ever be
consensus on what diversity under various aspects exactly means.

> - an explicit term for each AG member, so that it is known when each
> member expires and has to apply for reappointment.

In the long term, yes! Within a 5 year timeframe perhaps not the most
urgent item on the agenda.

> I think that anything lacking those minimal requirements is not a
> sufficiently transparent and accountable mechanism.
>
> P.S. I would not call basic democracy requirements, such as letting
> members of the AG be replaced after 2-3-4 years, "all this trouble".

All this trouble referred to the fuss we made about the nomcom on this
list, not to the requirement as such. I apologize for my loose wording.
jeanette
     governance at lists.cpsr.org