[governance] The New Class: Civil Society Professionals?

McTim dogwallah at gmail.com
Thu May 22 14:05:13 EDT 2008

Dewd,

On Thu, May 22, 2008 at 7:02 PM, Jeremy Malcolm <Jeremy at malcolm.id.au> wrote:

> I'm not privy to what may have prompted Veni's rant, and I don't consider
> I'm personally in the firing line here (I'm currently unemployed and haven't
> made a penny from IG), but this seems quite unfair.  The other stakeholder
> groups are much better resourced to participate in IG activities than civil
> society is, but we don't impute the same ill motivations to them.

EXCUSE ME??  Did you miss the thread of a week ago, entitled "2008
Nomcom Report"?

Did you read the part of the Nomcom report that said that employees of
existing IG bodies "might" have "potential" conflicts of interest, and
even though they may be CS, well, we aren't going to nominate them??

I pointed out potential conflicts for CS folk then.  Veni is just
articulating many of the things I said.

Don't you feel at all uncomfortable participating in a group who deny
part of that group access to the same opportunities because they work
for x, y, or z, when the folk who did the denying have the EXACT SAME
POTENTIAL CONFLICTS, but work for a, b or c?

I say shame on the Nomcom folk who cooked this mess up, and shame on
all members who don't speak out against this gross injustice!

"The people who are in the room make the decision" is NOT the way the
Internet was governed since it's inception, and it is NOT the way this
caucus should operate going forward.

To that end, I formally propose we amend

http://www.igcaucus.org/nomcom-process.html  point 4

to read

4. All nomcom participants, voting and non voting, will be
disqualified from selection as candidates for the list or team being
chosen. Members of the current appeals team will also be disqualified
from being chosen. No disqualification can be made based upon the type
of employment undertaken by members.

IIUC, we need 10 "yeas" to amend the charter, my query from last week
still stands is this part of the charter?

--
Cheers,

McTim
$ whois -h whois.afrinic.net mctim