[governance] The New Class: Civil Society Professionals?

Avri Doria avri at psg.com
Thu May 22 16:20:31 EDT 2008

hi,

my guesses to the questions:

On 22 May 2008, at 14:05, McTim wrote:

> IIUC, we need 10 "yeas" to amend the charter,

Not according to my reading.  From the Charter:

 > This charter can be amended at any time as proposed
 > by no fewer than ten (10) members and as approved by
 > no less than two-thirds (2/3) of the members of the IGC.
 > The membership requirements for amending the charter
 > are based on the most currently available voters list. In
 > amending the charter, everyone who voted in the previous
 > election will be deemed a member for amending the charter.

To me this means that if 10 people or more agree that it needs to be
amended, they can propose an amendment, and if 2/3 of the members
approve then it is ammended.  "Members" is  defined as the voters from
the previous election (which are supposed to happen yearly so it is
not as absurd as it might seem today)

> my query from last week
> still stands is this part of the charter?

from the charter:

 > All nominations to external bodies,
 > e.g., the IGF multistakholder advisory group, will be
 > made using a randomly selected nomcom process
 > as defined in http://www.igcaucus.org/nomcom-process.html.

Certainly using a nomcom is part of the charter. And changing that
would require amendment. Also since it points to a specific process, I
would argue that this process is included by reference in the charter
and thus changing it would also require amendment.

hope my personal interpretation helps,

a.

     governance at lists.cpsr.org