[governance] MAG mandate extended, call for new members:

Michael Gurstein gurstein at gmail.com
Sun May 4 13:11:34 EDT 2008

I think that Parminder got it precisely correct both from the MAG's
perspective and from the CS perspective -- that is, in the current state of
civil society development, multi-stakeholder consultative process
development and the relationship between the two, there is a necessity for
participation as an individual (there are no procedures for realizing formal
"representation" either within CS or between CS and the various bodies in
which it is represented).  There is also the necessity for a degree of
accountability since the entire structure of multi-stakeholderism is based
on a necessary linkage between participation and broader stakeholder groups.

How all that will be worked out over time remains to be seen and there are
multiple contending political and social forces at play here, but this is
the best we've got at the moment and what seems to be happening with the
IGF/MAG is to my mind at least a very very interesting and potentially
positive set of nuanced developments in the global governance sphere.

MG