[governance] NOMCOM - MAG nominations

Milton L Mueller mueller at syr.edu
Mon Mar 24 00:56:31 EDT 2008

Right. Yeah. That's why we have 20 slots assigned to those individuals
called "governments" and divvied up according to regions; that's why
Theresa Swinehart has been known to break out into impassioned critiques
of ICANN in the middle of MAG meetings with no fear of losing her job.
And that's why the ICC/BASIS representatives occasionally blurt out,
"you know, I think those Russian guys really have a point about US
unilateral control!"

C'mon, folks we all know a double standard when we see one.

One the one hand powerful commercial and governmental interests insist
on slots and quotas for their representatives, but civil society is
supposed to be these cute little individualized pets wit no allegiance
to anything. I don't begrudge ISOC, AUDA, Nominet, etc. the right to
develop and advocate positions on the MAG, I just want public interest
reps to be able to do the same thing.

> These are not the caucus' rules, we're not bound by them, but it
> would be a good idea to keep them in mind (if we submit a batch of
> names saying they are the representatives of the caucus, people we
> have power of recall over, etc, this may not sit well with the idea
> that members serve in their individual capacity. The MAG's
> recommendations came from the consultation process.)

Um, the MAG's recommendations came from the MAG. I was at the latest
consultation. This "individual capacity" stuff was not discussed.

Anyway, are you telling me that ICC/BASIS has no power of recall over
the person representing them on the MAG? That their reps don't advocate
anything at all like the official ICC/BASIS statements? That the
comments and basic positions of the person from ISOC are not vetted by
the organization or do not reflect the organization's position?

Could you really say that with a straight face?

> I think Milton and Bill suggested MAG members needed few skills.

Huh? It must have been "the other Milton." I think MAG members need lots
of skills. I also think the worst thing you could do to an innocent and
inexperienced CS person is to throw them into that highly politicized
environment with no lodestone but their "individual capacity."

> Should be willing to do work at the IGF meetings, from setting up
> tables to moderating workshops etc.

I don't recall seeing any of the government representatives setting up
tables, Adam. I look forward to future IGFs even more now.

     governance at lists.cpsr.org