[governance] IGC nominees for MAG

Adam Peake ajp at glocom.ac.jp
Sun Mar 16 14:32:15 EDT 2008

I once said:

>At 10:20 PM +0900 3/12/08, Adam Peake wrote:
>>Date: Thu, 25 May 2006 06:34:30 +0900
>>From: "Adam Peake (ajp at glocom.ac.jp)" <apeake at gmail.com>
>>To: "Vittorio Bertola" <vb at bertola.eu.org>
>>Cc: governance at lists.cpsr.org,
>>	"Meryem Marzouki" <marzouki at ras.eu.org>
>>
>>Vittorio.
>>
>>No, I don't see myself as a representative.  A connector perhaps.  But
>>I don't speak for you or anyone else.
>>
>>I think this connector role means I should try to make sure CS views
>>are heard in the advisory group. There are topics civil society
>>obviously supports and I'll try to get those into the panels
>>(panels: that's the four broad themes: Access, Security/Trust,
>>Openness and Diversity)
>>and workshops
>>(there might be about 12, we haven't discussed in detail, but guessing
>>that some workshops may focus in on some topic derived from one of the
>>main themes.)
>>I will try to push for speakers from CS on these panels and workshops,
>>and will try to find funds for some kind of fellowships.
>>
>>But I don't represent you, I don't particularly want to spend more of
>>my life trying to get a coherent and timely position from this caucus
>>:-) If you folks come up with stuff, I'll do my best to present it.
>>
>>I'm saying "I" as I've not discussed any of this with the other CS
>>people.  They might feel the same way, or might not.

(Though context is helpful, and detail long been passed by.)

When I've understood what the caucus' views are I've always tried to
present them and argue for them (all CS MAG members have).  But I
don' think any of us have said we're in the MAG in our "personal
capacity", if personal capacity means free agents who aren't in
anyway accountable or responsible.

I remember us asking the caucus on a couple of occasions to please
produce statements as they supported us in the MAG.

And it's clear from the press releases appointing MAG members the
secretary general is making appointments in individual (not personal,
that word is not used) capacities.

Adam
     governance at lists.cpsr.org