[governance] IGC nominees for MAG

Adam Peake ajp at glocom.ac.jp
Sun Mar 16 14:25:50 EDT 2008

>I am not able to understand Adam's proposal that the noncom should recommend
>all the 5 members of the MAG.

I was actually trying to avoid the word recommend
in connection with the five ("caucus would
support their continued membership of the MAG
should the SG find they continue to enhance the
balance of the group"). And tried to suggest
after pretty minimal endorsement by the caucus
they should be left to make their own case for
why they should continue.

We know 1/3 of the current MAG will be rotated,
and those five will be part of the total current
CS membership that will be rotated. Let them take
their chance along the the rest of the people who
make up the current CS MAG membership. Some will
be cut, that's the rule the MAG made for itself
(and what I think our statement a few weeks ago
asked for.)

The caucus should make recommendations about
others who go through the nomcom process, stating
their overall skill sets, how important it is for
CS to be fairly represented, how these people
fill gaps etc. Way I look at the process I think
we will likely improve the number that way and
get more new people into the MAG.

I'm trying to think of ways to maximize the
number of CS members in the MAG. I think this is
something to be strategic about rather than stand
on principle (Parminder, I understand that to be
what you are saying, we should be principled, and
respect that.)

I could well be wrong, I am guessing how this may
all play out. We don't know what other groups
will suggest people, we don't know how many of
the current members will be considered civil
society.

Adam

     governance at lists.cpsr.org