[governance] IGC nominees for MAG

Lee McKnight lmcknigh at syr.edu
Fri Mar 14 13:54:32 EDT 2008

sounds like a plan

Prof. Lee W. McKnight
School of Information Studies
Syracuse University
+1-315-443-6891office
+1-315-278-4392 mobile
Lee McKnight ha scritto:
> I note Avri's offer to fire up a nomcom etc process, doesn't that make
> sense for getting process going asap. Practically speaking all current
> mag members are off for the next round unless and until the SG
> reappoints them, so kind of a moot point whether they tender
> resignations or not, isn't it? Let's pass it to a nomcom asap and let
> them take the heat and sort it out.
>
> Of course that might all seem too practical and and out of character
for
> the caucus to proceed like that : )

I don't know whether the current CS members of the MAG are already
planning to pick two among themselves and tell the caucus "these are the

two ones that will be thrown to the lions, all the others are safe";
it's certainly hard to imagine.

It's also true that the "up to 1/3" principle is not binding in any way,

so if CS wanted to recommend that all seven rotate, it could certainly
do so - at most, it would be the Secretary General to refuse to do that,

if he thinks that continuity is more important than self-determination.

So, perhaps we could just work out a process for selection - a Nomcom,
if I remember well from the charter - with the mandate to select the
best possible slate, considering both the advantages of continuity and
the advantages of rotation, and it will be up to this process to
determine whether no one rotates, everyone rotates, or something in the
middle.
--
vb.                   Vittorio Bertola - vb [a] bertola.eu   <--------
-------->  finally with a new website at http://bertola.eu/  <--------