[governance] IGC nominees for MAG

Vittorio Bertola vb at bertola.eu
Thu Mar 13 04:09:29 EDT 2008

Adam Peake ha scritto:
>> I think we should follow some basic guidelines:
>>
>> 1. Rotation would be for 1/3 of the MAG (I guess this means the whole
>> MAG and not only the 50% non-gov people).
>

> "Rotating up to 1/3 of the members within each stakeholder group each
> year was seen as the appropriate way forward."  and "50% of its members
> proposed by governments and 50% by other stakeholder groups, would be
> maintained.

So, who gets to pick which members of the MAG are confirmed and which
ones are subject to reconfirming? What happens if you have to rotate one
third of the group but almost everyone in the group wants to continue?
I've seen a commitment to rotate "up to one third" (which might mean no
rotation at all) but I've not seen commitments to rotate "at least X%".

Frankly, I would think that rotating less than one third would be a
joke. There was no rotation last year, so if you have ascertained that
the right proportion of rotation is one third per year (which is already
pretty low), one would expect that this year two thirds of the group
would be rotated. Generally speaking, a group deciding for itself which
and how many of its members need to be changed at the term's end, and
deciding for very low values, does not look very good.

Please don't be offended - I know that everyone's intentions are good,
that establishing proper procedures in this informal environment is
hard, that there is the need to cope with balancing constraints etc. -
but the accountability and transparency of the MAG is still low, more
than that of the governing bodies of other global Internet governance
institutions. This is somewhat normal for such a young organization, but
perhaps some stronger show of will and bolder effort could be done: from
the outside, it really looks like the MAG is reluctant to change and
plans to replace as few members as possible, and this is not encouraging
for the credibility of the IGF.
--
vb.                   Vittorio Bertola - vb [a] bertola.eu   <--------
-------->  finally with a new website at http://bertola.eu/  <--------