[governance] IGC nominees for MAG

Carlos Afonso ca at rits.org.br
Wed Mar 12 12:30:47 EDT 2008

I think we should follow some basic guidelines:

1. Rotation would be for 1/3 of the MAG (I guess this means the whole
MAG and not only the 50% non-gov people).

2. All members are nominated by the SG for one year, so they are now all
non-members formally; it means that the SG will choose new names from
suggested lists presented by stakeholder groups and governments for 1/3,
and will choose from the current list of MAG members the other 2/3.

3. As usual, stakeholder groups should go through an open process of
getting candidates and recommending members. We should, I think, avoid
as much as possible self-nominations (although we should consider the
explicit wish of our current reps to continue, if they so express this,
but reminding ourselves of the current inbalances in representation).

4. Nominations for CS reps should come from the different regions, and
indicated by cauci (or equivalent groups, if any) from these regions.
For example, for LA&C we are trying to arrive at names through our
alc-cmsi caucus list.

5. Gender, regional, and other balances should be considered as much as
possible in our final list.

6. Last but not least, capacity to participate (both in online and face
to face meetings) is essential -- this means financial support available
to travel, time to get involved in the list discussions and so on.

fraternal rgds

--c.a.

     governance at lists.cpsr.org