[governance] IGC nominees for MAG

Adam Peake ajp at glocom.ac.jp
Wed Mar 12 09:33:01 EDT 2008

I am not sure what the process is for the
rotation.  I thought I knew when I left the MAG
meeting couple of weeks ago, but reading the
meeting report I'm now less sure (at least not
sure enough to recommend starting a process based
on my understanding.) Please see
<http://www.intgovforum.org/Feb_igf_meeting/MAG.Summary.28.02.2008.v2.pdf>,
paragraphs 3 - 11.

I have asked Markus to explain what he expects to
happen, if there will be a formal announcement of
a call for new members, deadline etc. Will let
you know.

Carlos recently sent a note forwarded from the
MAG list clarifying the 50/50 division between
govt and others. Copied below. I have no idea who
from the non-govt "other" group is planning to
leave/does not wish to continue.

I do want to continue as a member of the MAG.

The process used in 2006 is described here
<http://www.nomadicity.net/IGC-candidates-for-IGF-MAG.html>

Adam

At 1:09 PM +0100 3/12/08, Meryem Marzouki wrote:
>Hi Parminder and all,
>
>Before entering such a huge resources-consuming
>process, I think it's worth having some
>discussion inside IGC on whether it is desirable
>and whether it makes sense to propose IGC
>nominees, considering the experience with MAG
>members we have had so far, and discussions we
>have had at many different occasions on this
>list, on:
>- the lack of sufficient reports from IGC nominees to this list.
>- the pretty obscure status of "stakeholders'
>representatives" to the MAG: since they're
>participating in their individual capacity, they
>cannot by any mean represent any group.
>- more generally speaking the differences of
>opinions showed on this list on the role of CS
>(cf. our latest discussion when trying to
>prepare an IGC statement to the last IGF
>consultation meeting in Geneva), on which you've
>called for clarification so many times yourself,
>in your capacity of IGC coordinator.
>
>We may think of other options, instead of IGC
>nominations: e.g. individual support to
>(self-)nominations by individuals and/or by CS
>organizations/networks. Thus, the overall
>process of selecting MAG members (including
>final selection by the UN Secretary General)
>would be clearer, more transparent, and
>hopefully more accountable.
>
>Best,
>Meryem
>
>Le 12 mars 08 à 11:23, Parminder a écrit :

(deleted)
     governance at lists.cpsr.org