[governance] IGC nominees for MAG

Meryem Marzouki marzouki at ras.eu.org
Wed Mar 12 08:09:41 EDT 2008

Hi Parminder and all,

Before entering such a huge resources-consuming process, I think it's
worth having some discussion inside IGC on whether it is desirable
and whether it makes sense to propose IGC nominees, considering the
experience with MAG members we have had so far, and discussions we
have had at many different occasions on this list, on:
- the lack of sufficient reports from IGC nominees to this list.
- the pretty obscure status of "stakeholders' representatives" to the
MAG: since they're participating in their individual capacity, they
cannot by any mean represent any group.
- more generally speaking the differences of opinions showed on this
list on the role of CS (cf. our latest discussion when trying to
prepare an IGC statement to the last IGF consultation meeting in
Geneva), on which you've called for clarification so many times
yourself, in your capacity of IGC coordinator.

We may think of other options, instead of IGC nominations: e.g.
individual support to (self-)nominations by individuals and/or by CS
organizations/networks. Thus, the overall process of selecting MAG
members (including final selection by the UN Secretary General) would
be clearer, more transparent, and hopefully more accountable.

Best,
Meryem

     governance at lists.cpsr.org