[governance] IGC nominees for MAG

Adam Peake ajp at glocom.ac.jp
Thu Mar 13 00:34:56 EDT 2008

>I think we should follow some basic guidelines:
>
>1. Rotation would be for 1/3 of the MAG (I guess this means the
>whole MAG and not only the 50% non-gov people).

"Rotating up to 1/3 of the members within each stakeholder group each
year was seen as the appropriate way forward."  and "50% of its
members proposed by governments and 50% by other stakeholder groups,
would be maintained. As governments had their own selection
mechanisms through their regional groupings, they would be asked to
forward their proposals to the Secretariat."

Which kind of suggests to me the secretariat (and or SG's office)
will do some balancing across the "other" 50%, while governments will
be pretty much left on their own. Govt block has an in built regional
balance, and have been asked to respect gender diversity, etc.

>2. All members are nominated by the SG for one year, so they are now
>all non-members formally;

Not my understanding, I am pretty sure members continue as members
until rotated out. So the MAG continues as is until a new MAG is
formed. The point about continuity was emphasized so as not to repeat
the mess of last year when the MAG was stuck in limbo for 6 months.

"It was understood that any decision on how to proceed would be left
to the Secretary-General and that any list of candidates would
include the current MAG members who wished to continue. One of the
criteria passed on to the Secretary-General would be the need for
continuity and the request that approximately 2/3 of the members of
the current group be carried over into the new group."

>  it means that the SG will choose new names from suggested lists
>presented by stakeholder groups and governments for 1/3, and will
>choose from the current list of MAG members the other 2/3.

Not sure about him choosing from governments (in principle for sure,
but reality?), but the other's yes.

Agree pretty much with all said below (3, 4, 5 -- for 6 resources to
attend meeting important, but if meetings are set with enough time
and people actually know they are members [you can't get a grant for
a group you don't know you're a member of... think about the May and
September consultations last year], then funds for developing nation
members can be available. But having time is important, on top of
everything else it's four meetings/year.)

If we're looking at a 1/3 rotation, and I think there are currently 7
CS members of the MAG (people on the MAG list argue that many members
represent a broad range of interests, but I see 7 when considering
those who have been involved in CS as it continues on from WSIS) then
under those guidelines we need to find how many, 1 or 2? But as CS is
under represented, part of our argument should be just that -- CS has
been a very significant contributor to WSIS and IGF (note
participation, more than any other stakeholder and the number of
workshops organized [lead] etc) and number of members should be
increased.

Again, I think best to argue why CS should have more members, make
our case for that, and not argue others should have less.

Best,

Adam

     governance at lists.cpsr.org