[governance] WSIS, ICT4D, the IGF and other...

Garth Graham garth.graham at telus.net
Sun Mar 9 15:54:02 EDT 2008

While I too eagerly await the withering away of the state, the
problem is how to discuss a phase change without being on the other
side of it.  In fact, governments do still believe that governance is
the province of governments.  "They" haven't yet quite "got it" that,
in self-organizing systems, the rules governing relationship are
internal to each element of the system.  They are not externally
imposed, except in the sense that the system overall learns its way
forward according to its circumstances.

The first sentence of my original draft of an e-governance definition
was actually borrowed from a Canadian International Development
Agency (CIDA) web site that defines "governance" in the context of
development policy as follows:

“CIDA considers democratic governance essential for poverty reduction
and long-term sustainable development.  The Agency’s work in this
area aims to make states more effective in tackling poverty by
enhancing the degree to which all people, particularly the poor and
the marginalized, can influence policy and improve their livelihoods."

CIDA apparently does not have a working definition of e-governance,
in spite of support for e-governance capacity building projects.  In
a way, and as you will no doubt recall, this mirrors the total
absence of a definition of the "Information Society" in the World
Summit on the "Information Society."

I think I'd like to leave that "perception of governments" in the
definition, at least for a little while longer.  Pandering to that
misperception just might create a political climate in which the
significance of the phase change and its impact on our perceptions of
how society is structured can actually be discussed.

GG

     governance at lists.cpsr.org