[governance] WSIS, ICT4D, the IGF and other...

Michael Gurstein gurstein at gmail.com
Sun Mar 9 13:48:10 EDT 2008

Garth,

Interesting...

'm not sure why the "perception of governments" should be a crucial element
of the definition which I would rephrase as:

"E-governance is the uses of ICTs TO MODIFY the exercise of power so that
all people,
particularly the poor and marginalized, can PARTICIPATE IN policy,
improve their livelihoods and gain a SHARED voice in the public
decision making process.  E-governance changes behavior in relation
to power in the direction of open and collaborative communities of
interaction."

I was just at a meeting where the Government of Ontario (Canada) is in the
process of kicking off a major process to develop a "Provincial Broadband
Strategy"... The issue of whether the process would be "consultative" or
"participatory" took up a fair amount of the discussion time.  It was clear
that the position of all of those not being governmental representatives was
towards "participatory" while the government folks didn't seem to have ever
considered anything other than a (top-down) "consultative" process...

It will be interesting to see how they respond to this initial reaction to
their current strategy development plan. (And there may be some lessons from
these processes and attempts at conceptual clarification/revision that would
be of some value for CS to pursue in the IGF and ICANN contexts as well...

MG