[governance] A Wave of the Watch List, and Speech Disappears

Suresh Ramasubramanian suresh at hserus.net
Fri Mar 7 18:29:33 EST 2008

Re your answer to Miryam - Those issues never went away and will never go
away.  There's no way we can isolate the Internet from traditional
governance mechanisms, or sovereignty issues.

And re your answer to MM - Increased global oversight will not produce less
government involvement.   It may produce more authoritarian government
involvement.  And probably not much of a role for civil society - especially
that part of civil society (including a section of the list) that seems to
view governance as a divine right without taking the trouble to actually
understand the issues they're asking to govern.

I fully support the idea of this workshop as long as we can find - and
suggest - a way to prevent trade restrictions such as the ones with Cuba
becoming long arm enforcement when applied in the context of the Internet.
And as long as we can find ways for civ soc to actively work with and accept
the technical community instead of shying away from it.  These two
communities need each other a lot more than extremists on either side think.

For workshop content - panels are absolutely what we do not need here.  On
the other hand, if we can have a working group of sort spread over 3..4 days
- probably with public audience - what I have found much more effective in
throwing up ideas is either speed exchanges (small, focused roundtables) or
better still, as the focus is on coming up with language for a best practice
document or CS statement, getting people together in a room, full of wall
mounted tearsheets / flipcharts, each of which asks a critical question.

There are also marker pens ready for whoever wants to write his thoughts
under each question - one sentence at a time, any language he chooses ..
this is not "wording draft"  stage yet but key phrases are welcome of
course.

Then the rapporteurs for each question (chosen from a pool of volunteers
shall we say) go around with stickers (or red markers), and stick one
sticker / add one star per idea they like, to highlight it.    The
tearsheets are then taken away at the end of the session, ideas counted.

Very democratic, and I have found it surprisingly productive - it is the
method we use at MAAWG (www.maawg.org) to draft best practice documents such
as these: http://www.maawg.org/about/publishedDocuments

                srs