[governance] A Wave of the Watch List, and Speech Disappears

Willie Currie wcurrie at apc.org
Fri Mar 7 12:37:15 EST 2008

hi all

Taking Suresh's approach, I've extracted  a few key points from this
thread  which I think  we could focus on in terms of the IGF
secretariat's  request  for workshop proposals to be submitted by the
end of April. I wonder Riaz if you anticipated the twists and turns this
debate would take when you posted the article?

Bertrand: This notion of "fractal sovereignty" is harder to handle than
the traditional territory-based one but probably more adapted to our
connected world than the notion of strict subsidiarity : the challenge
is to manage interdependence and interactions.To enrich the discussion,
I'd like to put in perspective here the issue of IDNs. Will the physical
location of the future major registries for IDN TLDs (particularly gTLDs
if any) give the corresponding national courts a specific
authority/legal power on all registrants in those TLDs, even if they are
not located in that country and have no business with its citizens ?

Bertrand: It is exposing the core challenge of competing or overlapping
jurisdictions and probably the need for some "globally-applicable public
policy principles".

Karl: The same legal foundation that was used would also work against a
registry (as opposed to a registrar) located in the US. Thus even if the
registrar is not in the US, if the name is in .com then the US could use
the same legal approach to apply leverage to the registry, Verisign.
And since many of the large registries are in the US, that means that
much of the DNS is vulnerable to this tactic. Actions like this do not
promote the cohesion of the DNS but, instead, create forces tending
towards splitting and fragmentation.

Meryem: What I would really want to be addressed, and what is the right
(and main) question in my opinion, is the resolution of the conflicts of
jurisdiction in Internet content-related cases.

Bertrand: In cases of competing or overlapping jurisdictions, the key
question you want to see addressed, if I understand well, is the
transparency and accountability (including capacity for redress and
appeal) that should exist at these different levels. It is indeed the
right question. Relying merely on the national law or on contracts is
not enough to provide a coherent framework. This is the challenge we are
facing.

Meryem: If this kind of analogy is not wrong, then this simply
demonstrates that we're back (or still) facing issues which were already
discussed more than 10 years ago: there are continuous attempts to
impose an editorial liability on technical intermediaries (at different
levels ISP, registrar, registry, etc. one should also consider search
engines), simply because it's easier to target them and to have them "do
the job" (censorship of contents and/or activities). Either they accept
to be the censorship instrument or they would face themselves the penalty.

Bret: I don't think most registrants understand the consequences of
selecting a services provider -- be it a registrar or a hosting company
-- based outside their own country. Isn't this an opportunity to teach?
Maybe we should do something on this inside IGF. I would think the
governments of the world would welcome the opportunity to teach users
about the benefits of locally owned businesses.

Milton: I think a better way to ask that question is, how can we, via
Internet governance and global public policy making, better realize the
potential of the Internet to offer global services without ensnaring end
users/customers in the idiosyncracies of territorial jurisdictions? How
can we create a global -- and globally accountable --
"jurisdiction"within which these services can be offered?

I think this interchange has thrown up a cluster of issues that could
usefully form the basis of an IGF workshop on globally-applicable public
policy issues and practical strategies for dealing with cross-border
internet governance. The value of the debate on this thread for me is
the move from a concrete case example to the broader set of public
policy issues it reveals, both new (are we seeing the fracturing of
sovereignty? do we need a new set of global public policy primciples or
is more work on international law related to the internet needed?) and
old (getting technical intemediaries to do government's enforcement
work, which in another emerging concrete case is the French and British
government threats to ISPs to clamp down on filesharing practices -
http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2008/feb/22/filesharing). Meryem's
point about 'cascade responsibilty' systems is very relevant here. The
interchange on the thread also highlights the public education function
of the internet governance forum - that there are practical strategies
that would be useful for registrars, ISPs and governments in dealing
with internet governance problems - in the absence of an overarching
public policy framework or sufficent clarity with respect to
international law and jurisdcition.

For an IGF workshop(s) it may be worth looking at a different approach
to the traditional panel discussion. We could have the presentation of a
particular case like this one (or a number of cases) and then ask
reprsentatives of different stakeholders to respond to the public policy
issues thrown up by the case. And see to what extent this adds to or
subtracts from the underlying (repressed) issue of enhanced cooperation.
I tend to agree with Bertrand and Karl that we are facing the threat of
the fracturing of sovereignty which left unaddressed will bring about
the fracturing of the internet. Do we have to wait until the return of
the repressed for anything to be done about it? A reasonable public
policy approach would say: if we can identify problems emerging, then we
had better start thinking of solutions and encouraging a debate with the
relevant political and regulatory authorities.

On practical strategies we could perhaps organise a best practice forum
along the lines Bret suggests.

fractal or fracturing
winter returns
who among us is whole?