[governance] [process] Fwd: IGC Membership list

McTim dogwallah at gmail.com
Sun Jun 29 13:59:16 EDT 2008

On Sun, Jun 29, 2008 at 6:18 PM, Parminder <parminder at itforchange.net> wrote:

> Avri
>
>> one does not need to subscribe to the charter to vote.
>
> (snip)

>> think it would be unfair to ask them to support the charter in order
>> to have their voting rights.
>

> The charter says - ".. the voter must personally ascertain that they are a
> member of the IGC based on membership criteria described elsewhere in this
> charter...."
>
> The 'elsewhere' implied here is the membership section which says
>
> " The members of the IGC are individuals, acting in personal capacity, who
> subscribe to the charter of the caucus."

This has been my reading of it all along.  I am willing to consider
AD's interpretation though.

> So, subscription to the charter and thus acceptance of membership is a clear
> pre-condition for voting.

This doesn't follow from the above interpretation!

The coordinator sends ballots to all (who have been subscribed for at
least 2 months).   One affirms membership AS one votes, not before.

> I am going by my above interpretation of the charter

I would prefer you go by the charter text:

"Each person who is subscribed to the list at least two (2) months
before the election will be given a voter account."

How do you "interpret" that?

--
Cheers,

McTim