[governance] Fwd: IGC Membership list

McTim dogwallah at gmail.com
Fri Jun 27 08:03:50 EDT 2008

On Fri, Jun 27, 2008 at 12:13 PM, Parminder <parminder at itforchange.net> wrote:

> McTim
>
>>She is simply explaining that we affirm membership during the voting act as
>>per the charter.
>
> You do not mention the issue of 'subscribing to the charter', which is the
> criterion of membership as per the charter, at all here.

It's quite implicit.  Those who affirm membership while voting ARE
subscribing to the charter by that act.

"(i.e. a voter must affirm membership on the voter form in order to
vote). The decision to self-identify as a member of the IGC is a
personal decision based on the criteria defined."

 Interestingly, this
> was a strong refrain throughout your discussions on the IGIs and nomcom
> issue... you kept pledging by 'all those who subscribe to the charter'.....

WAS? it's still an open issue AFAICS.

>>Forcing us to
>> "register" to vote beforehand is not what I agreed to when I signed
>> the charter.
>
> When did you sign the charter - by voting for it? Well, unfortunately while
> we have the list of all those who voted during the charter vote, there is no
> break up of who voted for and who against. Should I take all those who
> voting during this vote (even those who opposed it) as having signed the
> charter ? I can, but is this your view.

This is not my view, I wish you would refrain from telling me what my
view is, you get it wrong all too often.

Read the charter again, it's fairly simple:

"All individuals subscribed to the IGC mail list will be given voter
accounts. In order to qualify to vote on the charter, the prospective
voter will first need to affirm that they qualify as a member of the
group as described elsewhere in the charter. "

> Or did you sign by voting in the coordinators elections, but then do those
> who didn't vote become non members (see my last email)

Why would not voting change membership status?  Just because one
affirms membership during the voting act doesn't imply that one
becomes a non-member by not voting.

> Also, should the membership list be frozen after charter and co-coordinator
> votes,

no

or can I again ask all those on the list if they are willing to
> subscribe and become members....

no

> Since we do not have a clear members list what exactly is so evil in saying,
> well lets have one, and things will be simpler from there on.

There is nothing simpler than asking people to affirm membership
during the voting act.  It's only when trying to "register" and
dispense ballots that complexity comes into play.  The "evil" is that
you are trying to change our procedures that are clearly written into
the charter.

Specifically,
> do you also like Avri have a problem in saying, yes, I subscribe to the
> charter.

Like Avri (I think), It's to be done in the voting act, not before.

Or is it that you find this as another good issue to oppose
> something I am trying to do and enter into endless arguments.

I find it another example of you pushing your agenda on the group
without respecting the clear instructions in our charter.

--
Cheers,

McTim
$ whois -h whois.afrinic.net mctim