[governance] Fwd: IGC Membership list

Parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Fri Jun 27 09:27:42 EDT 2008

> Specifically,
> > do you also like Avri have a problem in saying, yes, I subscribe to the
> > charter.
>
> Like Avri (I think), It's to be done in the voting act, not before.

I am sticking with the two step process, for reason I mentioned, but just
clarifying your stand. So, you are fine if as a part of the ballot one has
to affirm that I have read the charter and subscribe to it, before one casts
the vote.

I have earlier and again in this thread that I am fine with this, and this
serves the charter's membership criteria. However there are some operational
difficulties whereby I prefer a two step process.

And I repeat them

(1) I know with comparable experience that many people will not respond to
part (1) of such a ballot requiring affirmation of subscription to the
charter and go ahead and vote. That cause confusion if the membership
criterion is met, and things become messy in the middle of a voting process.

(2) People who do not vote for some reason will not be in the members list,
which creates issues with couple of IGC processes that may have membership
implications.

(3) Those who join between voting processes have to wait long - for a voting
process - to become full members. This is unfair.

(4) If in any case people joining in between voting episodes can become
members by directly subscribing to the charter, why cant  a uniform process
be followed for all, and a full list of existing members kept, and regularly
updated.

There are some gaps and lack of clarity in the charter, and the process of
voting in the last elections was also not done as per the charter. There was
no charter subscription assertion in the ballot, or even a 'membership as
per charter' assertion, only affirmation of being a CS participant of IGC,
and the term participant has mostly been used here as a list participant
different from member as per the charter criterion. So your vigilance about
what is charter violation is quite partisan, one must say.

There is also a difference in the charter between voters eligibility for
normal voting process and for amending the charter (which has confusing
definition of the 'last voters list' - whereby by not voting ones membership
expires, something you spoke against in your email)and also membership
criterion as mentioned in the membership part and charter amending part...

Such gaps and lack of clarity is normal in the early life of such documents,
and we should address them soon. Meanwhile if we are able to work together
in good faith and go through the necessary organizational processes, it will
be mutually useful..

After all, when you yourself quite clearly believe in affirming subscription
to the charter, what exactly is the personal agenda that you suspect I am
pushing through the process that I am steering... can you be specific about
it. Otherwise you look like just doing some nitpicking in face of an
important organizational process.

Parminder

     governance at lists.cpsr.org