[governance] Internet Technical Community Background Document to OECD Ministerial

McTim dogwallah at gmail.com
Fri Jun 27 07:00:24 EDT 2008

On Fri, Jun 27, 2008 at 1:15 PM, Milton L Mueller <mueller at syr.edu> wrote:

> [...]

My previous example (some weeks back) was of a private school, no govt
funding or indded any gov't connection at all.

But that's a good example. If you
> are forming a group of civil society advocates/activists in a local
> community around educational policy, and you are particularly interested
> in organizing to get the local school board to develop or change its
> policies in some way, you might view the chair of the local School Board
> as a valuable source of information about how the system works, and as a
> potential ally, but you would not want that person to represent your
> interests regarding changes or criticism of his/her own Board.

Perhaps, but that doesn't mean that (private) school board is not a CS
body (also a governance one).

>> While it is true that the Internet Society has businesses as members,
>> I must point out that this does not disqualify them from CS.
>
> Of course not
>
>> self-identification is at the heart of our charter, the NomCom has
>> done away with this self-identification in the case of fulltime staff
>> of "existing Internet governance bodies" in that they can
>> self-identify as much as they want, but they can't have the same
>> rights you have Milton, and I think that's absolute rubbish.
>
> They have the same rights,

except they are excluded from being nominated to the MAG.

as I've said 100 times I would think twice
> about a potential conflict of interest before expecting them to
> represent me on issues related to the policies of their own employer.

By all means, think twice, but don't exclude a class of members based
on an undefined criteria (we don't know which orgs the nomcom thought
were "existing Internet governance organisations" ).  I would think
that ISOC would be on that list, but since they initially nominated an
ISOC staff member, I guess  they did not think that ISOC is an
"existing Internet governance organisations".

--
Cheers,

McTim
$ whois -h whois.afrinic.net mctim