[governance] Internet Technical Community Background Document to OECD Ministerial

Roland Perry roland at internetpolicyagency.com
Fri Jun 27 11:19:54 EDT 2008

In message
<7663C7E01D8E094989CA62F0B0D21CD901E0DB7E at SUEXCL-02.ad.syr.edu>, at
06:15:20 on Fri, 27 Jun 2008, Milton L Mueller <mueller at syr.edu> writes
>>What about my example of a School Board, composed of volunteers
>> from the community that the school serves,
>> no government involved anywhere,
>
>School Board members are elected parts of local govt in my community and
>in most local communities in the US.

As I mentioned to Milton in Paris the other day, I have a selection of
hats...

One of those is as a representative of parents on the "school board" at
the public "high school" where my children attend. (The terms differ
slightly in the UK, but I'll use the USA-ian words as they probably have
more universal recognition).

About half of the twenty-some members of that board are parental
representatives, voted for by parents. Only one is currently a
representative of the local government who fund the school. The
remainder are a mixture of staff, private sector benefactors and
"community" interests (almost entirely ex-parents), the first being
selected by the staff the rest by the board.

All are volunteers.

I can imagine people asking "how does the local govt retain control with
only one board member", but their funding is decided by a central
government formula that no-one can change, and criticism of the school's
performance is done by central government appointed inspectors.

I can now imagine people asking what the school board's function is, and
the longer I stay on it the less of an answer I have :)
--
Roland Perry
     governance at lists.cpsr.org