[governance] Fwd: IGC Membership list

Avri Doria avri at psg.com
Fri Jun 27 05:14:15 EDT 2008

hi,

I am not saying you cannot hold elections just because I am making a
personal protest.    I am saying that I wish to log my protest. I see
absolutely no reason why my protest should stop you from doing what
you think its right - as long you do have the consensus of the IGC.
To blame me for the lack of elections seems just a tab unfair -
especially since though i disagree with your practice, I have been
helping you in the background by providing all the information and
assistance which you have requested.

I do believe I still have the freedom of expression on this list to
make my position clear - as long as I am not breaking the mandates of
netiquette as defined in the charter.  And if I am breaking them
please warn me.

I understand that not signing the charter before being put on the
voter's list as you seem to believe is required by the nature of the
organization may mean that I am no longer a voting caucus  member and
only a list member.  While I would consider that unfortunately, I can
live with it if it is the case.

thank you
a.

On 27 Jun 2008, at 10:29, Parminder wrote:

> [...]
>
> There is not much difference between the two 'in principle', so I
> don't know
> why you (and some others) are still arguing on what looks like
> 'principles'
> issue.
>
> It is fine for me to take the charter subscription statement in the
> same
> step as voting. However for a couple of "house-keeping issues" I have
> preferred to make a members list first and then send ballots
> along.... I
> will give my reasons for this, but can others opposing this can give
> their
> reason as well, while responding to my reasons...
>
> (1) Members list is applicable for purposes other than voting as
> well, and
> it is good to have a standing members list which we don't have at
> present...
>

> (2) it is a bit confusing on a ballot list to say - "a voter must
> agree that
> they subscribe" because what if the voters says nothing to this part
> and
> just goes ahead and votes. On the other hnd, is response to a
> specific email
> about subscribing to the charter and accepting membership the
> respondent
> clearly knows what she is responding to.
>
> (3) Some people do not vote in co-coordinators elections just
> because they
> do not care to make a choice in this regard. Do they lose membership
> because
> of that. Many who voted for the charter did not vote for the co-
> coordinators
> elections only a few months later. Did they therefore lose
> membership? (I
> have stated these issues umpteen times earlier). In any case nowhere
> was it
> mentioned, the last time, that voting is compulsory to retain (obtain)
> membership, right.
>
> Can the coordinator in charge of the elections be allowed to make this
> simple process choice to do a two step process especially now when
> there is
> no 'principles' issues left since you agree that one should first
> agree that
> she subscribes to the charter before voting... also especially since
> the
> coordinator has taken this matter to the list at least 4 times now
> and is
> convinced that there has been enough consensus to follow this
> process. But,
> still, you may counter the above imperatives for following the two
> step
> process that we have laid out. Also pl specifically mention what is
> gained
> by doing it as a single  step process - which does involve assertion
> of
> subscription to the charter - rather than a two step one, as I am

>>> P.O.Box 5213
>>> Douala-Cameroon

     governance at lists.cpsr.org