[governance] Fwd: IGC Membership list

Jeffrey A. Williams jwkckid1 at ix.netcom.com
Thu Jun 26 07:43:34 EDT 2008

Parminder and all,

  I for one sympathize with your position and contention.  I think the
crux of the problem here is which interpratation of the Charter
is or is not the correct one AND as such, whom can or cannot
vote.  Frankly as the Charter does not directly diliniate whom has
voting rights or whom does not, whatever one person says is the
correct interpratation of the Charter is, does not seemingly reflect
the interests of good governance, and cannot as such be the
deciding factor as to whom can or cannot vote.  I hope the
IGC does not turn into a dictatorship or a collective dictatorship,
however benevelent such may be when such weighty issues that
may effect so many are being considered, discussed, and debated.

Parminder wrote:

> Avri
>
> Let me first mention the real issue involved here before we go into
> arguments and counter arguments which I have no option but, because once
> again a spanner has been thrown in a simple organizational process that all
> organizations do...
>
> This simple issue here is that - I don't understand that how can a group of
> such global standing, importance, whatever can be held hostage to single
> member's 'decision' that she will not say, 'I do subscribe to the charter'
> come what may. I have not been able to hold elections for the last few
> months mainly because of this one issue.
>
> (I understand that you take it as some kind of an ideological position, but
> there isnt much I can do about this. I think it is simple to say that you
> agree to the charter because we know you do, but since I have to ask
> everyone, I cant make an exception in your case.)
>
> Ok, now to rationales and counter-rationales....
>
> > The list discussed this before.
>
> Yes, that's the problem. This has been discussed many many times. I have
> posted the email I intended to send out to make  a members list a few times
> now over the last few months, and every time it has, in my view, ended with
> enough consensus that we will go ahead with this process I proposed. For
> instance, the last time it got discussed, Adam, among others, clearly asked
> me to send this email out (though I am not exactly sure what his posting in
> the current discussion means, in that context)................
>
> I think it is adequate, and within
> > the charter to do what we have done before -
> >
> > - all IGC subscribers get access to the ballot
> > - in submitting a ballot a voter must agree that they subscribe to the
> > charter.
>
> Avri, you know very well that this is not what was done the last time. This
> only serves to confuse the members. And it cant be that you have forgotten
> because we have discussed what was done last time a couple of times now on
> this list.
>
> There was no mention at all in the ballot of the charter. The text on the
> ballot read -
>
> "By voting you affirm that you consider yourself a Civil Society particpant
> of the Internet Governance Caucus." "If you cannot so affirm, please do not
> vote."
>
> I cant see any mention of the charter here, or even of 'member'. And we have
> agreed before that there is a difference between a 'participant' (as a list
> participant) and a 'member' (with voting rights).  So will you please
> explain how you say the above as per your email is "what we have done
> before".
>
> Not only this is not what we have done before, in our numerous discussions
> you have never even ever agreed that " a voter must agree that they
> subscribe to the > charter" which you now go to the extent to say that this
> is what we have "done before".

> [...]

Regards,

Spokesman for INEGroup LLA. - (Over 281k members/stakeholders strong!)
   Abraham Lincoln

P: i.e., whether B is less than PL."
Updated 1/26/04
jwkckid1 at ix.netcom.com