[governance] new paper on the Hyderaband [sic] programme

Milton L Mueller mueller at syr.edu
Fri Jun 13 12:04:40 EDT 2008

Parminder:
I wrote my dissertation on universal service policy as it evolved in the
US, and have been engaged in U.S. policy debates around that topic since
1990. So I am fully aware of the implications of various phrasings,
which is why I don't want to go down the road of calling for "ensuring
universal access to the Internet." Such a call could be construed, and
almost certainly would be construed by some, as a call for the kind of
classical subsidy schemes that rationalized telephone monopolies and in
many instances actually hindered the expansion of new networks and
services by creating a social compact to restrict service delivery to a
privileged monopoly subject to universal service obligations. I am
unwilling to support anything that would even hint at perpetuating or
reproducing that old model.

Of course, who is against having universal access to the Internet? the
issue is how you get there. Fact is, access is growing very fast, almost
everywhere where there is peace and a relatively open market. If you
want to accelerate that process, you'd better have some solid ideas how,
and also make sure that your proposals don't disrupt or retard the
growth already taking place. Incidentally, the MOST important variable
affecting telecom access is GDP, so the best way to promote
(more-)universal access is to foster economic growth and greater wealth.
So why not just call for "ensuring universal access to wealth"?

Another problem is, it's not clear what institutional mechanisms are
available to finance the "ensuring" of universal access at the global
level, nor is it clear what levels of access we are talking about, nor
is it clear what other budget items get lost to finance that. Absent
those institutional specifics, I feel that it is irresponsible to call
for a goal of that sort. We've had this discussion before: you call
things "rights" that I call "policies," and by calling them "rights"
imho you seem to (verbally) exempt yourself from the discipline of
putting them into the context of competing social priorities, and
basically assume away the budget constraint that inherently and
inescapably limits what govt policies can do.

So now we are in the ideological argument...and the statement to the
Secretariat...?

Milton Mueller
Professor, Syracuse University School of Information Studies
XS4All Professor, Delft University of Technology
Internet Governance Project:
http://internetgovernance.org

     governance at lists.cpsr.org