[governance] new paper on the Hyderaband [sic] programme

Parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Fri Jun 13 11:25:15 EDT 2008

Milton

> We can indeed have a rich discussion of what we mean by "rights" and
> what we mean by "universalization" but in the immediate time frame, such
> a debate is unlikely to be conclusive.

If you read my proposal you will see that I am not asking that we
communicate that the suggested topic be universalisation (and there is no
mention of rights anywhere either).

I am agreeing that there is some difference of views on 'universalization of
the internet' term. So I proposed 'ensuring universal access to the
Internet' instead of 'reaching the next billion' about which a lot of
discussion did take place. I saw no one specifically insisting that
'reaching the next billion' should be retained (I may be corrected on this).
We agree that 'internet for all' is a good overall theme (hopefully). And
under it the relevant theme from a policy point of view, and not a business
strategy point of view, is 'ensuring universal access to the Internet'
since, as I argued, nearly all countries, including the US I think, have
some form of universal access policies...

Parminder

     governance at lists.cpsr.org