[governance] new paper on the Hyderaband [sic] programme

Parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Fri Jun 13 12:59:19 EDT 2008

Milton

> So now we are in the ideological argument...and the statement to the
> Secretariat...?

Ideology cannot be separated from advocacy, so that's fine. And status quo
needs to change, and any time is as good as another. I suspect close to 90
percent people on this list do not agree with you that universal service
obligations, in some way or the other, are not required for universal
access. So why the will of such a small minority should keep prevailing in
and informing our group's positions?

> Of course, who is against having universal access to the Internet? the
> issue is how you get there. Fact is, access is growing very fast, almost
> everywhere where there is peace and a relatively open market.

Access to Internet in the developing is not following the same path as
mobile telephony did, and there are some very good reasons for it. Although
even universal access to telephony has almost always needed support of USOs
or some other policy instruments, almost everywhere in the world.

India is a perfectly peaceful country, with a relatively open market. As for
spread of rural broadband - nothing is happening even with such excess of
backbone capacity that you cant imagine. A little more than 1 percent of
India fiber optic backbone capacity is used today. And fibre runs within
50-60 KM of most Indian villages. But this has not translated to access to
Internet/ broadband for rural Indians. I am enclosing the presentation I
made to the UN Commission on Science and Technology for Development last
month where I trace 4 stages of 'policy understanding' for universal
Internet access in India. It has been clearly established that even supply
side policies (what to say markets alone) are not sufficient for spread of
broadband in rural areas, and demand side polices are required.

So I think we need to go beyond what you describe as US's experience, though
I have a strong feeling that it does not completely hold even for the US...

> Another problem is, it's not clear what institutional mechanisms are
> available to finance the "ensuring" of universal access at the global
> level,

It is not only about availability of 'international finance' but as much
about dominant ideological models, like the one you profess, that get
peddled to developing countries in various ways that we need to resist, and
I am trying to resist. That's what is 'global' about telecom access
policies, apart from international institutional mechanisms of funding. Let
us examine the real situation of developing countries, their contexts and
needs, when we speak about policies on access etc in IG arenas, or
otherwise.

Parminder

     governance at lists.cpsr.org