[governance] Rights workshop

Lisa Horner lisa at global-partners.co.uk
Tue Jun 10 10:03:51 EDT 2008

Hi

This is an issue we're currently looking at under the banner of the Freedom of Expression Project (looking at the comms environment as a whole, but obviously internet governance is a huge part of that).  The TACD rights charter is great, covering the same kinds of issues as our project policy principles and the APC rights charter.  I agree that there's important work to be done in reaching out to consumers groups around IG issues, and a strong presence at the IGF would be beneficial.

We're working closely with the Consumers Union in the US, and through them with other groups who are members of TACD (Public Knowledge, EFF, Epic etc), and with Consumers International.  I've just come back from the US national conference for media reform where lots of IG issues (net neutrality, filtering etc) are on the agenda.  These are often looked at through the lens of consumer rights, which seems to have greater resonance than human rights in many arenas.  We're looking at ways of bridging the gap between consumer rights and human rights in ways that can strengthen the two movements and the influence they have on communications policy.

It'd be great to hear from anyone doing work in this area, or from any consumers groups on this list.

Thanks,

Lisa

Lisa Horner

Head of Research and Policy Unit

Global Partners and Associates

4th Floor Holborn Gate, 26 Southampton Buildings, London, WC2A 1AH

Office: + 44 207 861 3960          Mobile: +44 7867 795859

lisa at global-partners.co.uk <mailto:lisa at global-partners.co.uk>   www.global-partners.co.uk <http://server.global-partners.co.uk/exchweb/bin/redir.asp?URL=http://www.global-partners.co.uk/>