[governance] Rights workshop

William Drake william.drake at graduateinstitute.ch
Mon Jun 9 00:08:24 EDT 2008

Hi,

I mentioned here before the unfortunate lack of engagement between the
caucus and the CS coalition involved in the upcoming OECD meeting in Seoul.
On the WSIS plenary list Francis M. has today been raising related issues.

One of the groups the caucus doesn¹t really interface with, but that¹s been
long been active and doing interesting things related to IG (albeit without
that framing), is Transatlantic Consumers Dialogue.  I was just poking
around links related to the OECD meeting and noticed that in March TACD
released a Charter of Consumer Rights in the Digital World
http://www.tacd.org/db_files/files/files-442-filetag.pdf.  This led me to
look at the caucus proposal for a rights workshop which states,

³There are a number of initiatives addressing rights issues in relation to
the Internet. Several organisations have developed frameworks and charters
(APC's Internet rights charter, the CRIS Framework, the Freedom of
Expression project's Principles document to name but a few) that map
existing rights in the context of the Internet and propose possible rights
based approaches.²

No TACD. Folks who are spearheading this proposal might want to reach out to
them...?

Best,

Bill

William J. Drake