[governance] Re: Nomcom and conflict of interest

Parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Tue Jun 3 11:50:11 EDT 2008

George

I will do nothing much more than to cut-paste the UN's recent press release
on MAG's rotation to show that your description of the situation is very
one-sided. "Serves in personal' capacity is a part-corrective term over
normal UN forums/ meetings where countries and organizations get
represented, and anyone can come in on the behalf of these organizations.
It doesn't not completely take away the representative, and stakeholder
group, basis of MAG selection as is obvious from the statement below. In
fact, as pointed out in a discussion on this issue on this list a while
back, UN SG's statements have progressively underlined the representative /
stakeholder group basis of the MAG membership more and more since its
formation. This is precisely to check against the over-simplified
implication of the term 'personal capacity' which some people have tried to
draw.

Thanks. Parminder

MANDATE OF ADVISORY GROUP OF INTERNET GOVERNANCE FORUM EXTENDED

The mandate of the Multistakeholder Advisory Group of the Internet
Governance Forum has been extended.  The Special Adviser for Internet
Governance to the Secretary-General, Nitin Desai, has been asked to continue
as the Chairman of the Advisory Group, which will meet again on 13 to 15 May
in Geneva before handing over to a renewed group to prepare the next
Internet Governance Forum meeting in Hyderabad, India, on 3 to 6 December.

The Advisory Group will renew up to one third of its members within each
stakeholder group.  All relevant stakeholder groups, representing
Governments, private sector and civil society, including the academic and
technical communities will submit names to the Internet Governance Forum
Secretariat.  All members serve in their personal capacity, but are expected
to have extensive linkages with relevant stakeholder groups.  Members need
to be willing to reach out and ensure continuous flow of information to and
from interested groups and to participate actively and constructively in the
Group's work.  More details are available on the Internet Governance Forum
website:  www.intgovforum.org <http://www.intgovforum.org/> .

The Internet Governance Forum is an outcome of the Tunis phase of the World
Summit on the Information Society, which took place in 2005.  In the Tunis
Agenda for the Information Society, Governments asked the Secretary-General
to convene a "new forum for policy dialogue" to discuss issues related to
key elements of Internet governance and set out the Forum's mandate.

The Forum's first two meetings took place in Athens in November 2006 and in
Rio de Janeiro in November 2007.  A stock-taking session in Geneva on 26
February 2008 showed broad support for a continuation of the
multi-stakeholder preparatory process.

  _____