[governance] Re: Nomcom and conflict of interest

George Sadowsky george.sadowsky at attglobal.net
Tue Jun 3 15:44:27 EDT 2008

It is correct that there is a tension between stakeholder groups for
the ability to appoint members to the MAG.  This is conceptually
different than appointing representation, although in the worst case
(my worst case, not Jeremy's) amounts to the same thing.

However, I want to repeat what I wrote earlier: in the majority of
cases, regardless of who appointed the member, the members speak more
in the general public interest rather than in line with the generally
narrower interests of those who appointed them.  This IMHO is a
fortunate happenstance and certainly was not guaranteed by any part
of the process.

Unfortunately, some members do tend to represent narrower interests
consistent with their background, and again IMHO, this does not help
the work of the MAG.

George

     governance at lists.cpsr.org