Remote participation plans Re: [OCDC] Re: [governance] Do

Brenden Kuerbis bkuerbis at gmail.com
Mon Jun 2 14:09:39 EDT 2008

On Sun, Jun 1, 2008 at 4:49 PM, Avri Doria <avri at psg.com> wrote:
> hi,
>
> I am not sure I understand the issue.
>
> The IGF secretariat makes information available on its web site.

It does, as best it can with the meager resources it has, but IMO it's
in the wrong format. One way to make it more useful would be to
utilize RSS more.  The Secretariat advertises a feed on the home page
(http://intgovforum.org/igf_rss_feed.xml), but the last entry is
December 8, 2007. Is there another feed(s) that isn't broken?

> In
> understand that some people are comfortable with that web site and some
> people are not.

Avri, it's more than that. (btw, marketing 101, never call your
customers stupid ;-)).  Using such "Web 2.0" technology more
effectively could get the activities of the Secretariat and the MAG
more exposure, which are good things from a marketing (i.e.,
Secretariat self-interest), and more importantly, governance
perspective.  E.g., it sure would be nice to have an IGF events feed
so I could create a widget that could be placed on someone's blog or
website. Or it sure would be great if I had an IGF transcript feed so
I could easily create audio files for podcasting. Right now I have to
go to the IGF site and rummage around in the very user-unfriendly
environment (or if I know what I need, use Google and simply avoid the
mess) or depend on individuals on various listservs for updates.
Provide the information in a usable format* and you'll be amazed what
others do with it.

> I don't remember anyone ever telling anyone that they could not startup a
> user participation site of their own.

You're right. But obviously some people are concerned.  This would
become a non-issue if, 1) the Secretariat provides information in a
format that is "sociable" as suggested above and 2) as Milton
mentioned, the Secretariat (with the help of the user community)
builds the organizational processes (and, IMO, the secondary
technological interfaces) necessary for online participants to
contribute and participate in the Forums.   The first issue is more
easily surmountable, the second, we'll see...  But if the IGF succeeds
in doing those things, I bet you'll see a wealth of IGF participation
sites.

Best,

Brenden

*it's possible to create social media from unsociable media using
tools like feedity.com, feed43.com, or dapper.net, but c'mon, how
about a little division of labor?

> a.
>

> On 1 Jun 2008, at 22:37, Milton L Mueller wrote:

Brenden Kuerbis
Internet Governance Project
http://internetgovernance.org
     governance at lists.cpsr.org