Remote participation plans Re: [OCDC] Re: [governance] Do

Jeremy Malcolm Jeremy at Malcolm.id.au
Mon Jun 2 21:18:38 EDT 2008

On 03/06/2008, at 2:09 AM, Brenden Kuerbis wrote:

> It does, as best it can with the meager resources it has, but IMO it's
> in the wrong format. One way to make it more useful would be to
> utilize RSS more.  The Secretariat advertises a feed on the home page
> (http://intgovforum.org/igf_rss_feed.xml), but the last entry is
> December 8, 2007. Is there another feed(s) that isn't broken?

No there isn't a non-broken official feed.  There is a meta-feed of
unofficial IGF-related resources at http://igf-online.net/gregarius
that aspires to completeness, but could do with more source feeds.

> E.g., it sure would be nice to have an IGF events feed
> so I could create a widget that could be placed on someone's blog or
> website. Or it sure would be great if I had an IGF transcript feed so
> I could easily create audio files for podcasting.

Exactly, and even if these were not provided in RSS format, it would
be sufficient that they were provided in some other open format such
as a Web service that others could repurpose in the manner you
describe.  (Brenden, please consider contributing to the early draft
requirements document at http://wiki.igf-online.net/wiki/IGF_Virtual_Community
, which I think you will find to be on your wavelength.)

I won't forward my off-list conversation with Chengetai Masango
without permission, but the problem we run into is the Secretariat is
willing to devote no resources to this.  The Rio meeting, for those
privileged enough to make it, came with a seven-figure price tag, but
for the majority of Internet users who cannot make it out of their
home country, any investment above $0 is too much to justify.

--
Jeremy Malcolm LLB (Hons) B Com
Internet and Open Source lawyer, IT consultant, actor

     governance at lists.cpsr.org