[governance] ECOSOC considered CSTD Report and adopted draft CSTD resolution on WSIS follow-up

CONGO WSIS - Philippe Dam wsis at ngocongo.org
Wed Jul 30 09:11:48 EDT 2008

Dear all,

This is to inform you about the consideration by ECOSOC of the report of the
recent 11th session of the Commission on Science and Technology for
Development and the rubber stamping of the CSTD Resolution and its 4
Decisions including those concerning civil society and academic institution
participation (see my previous posts on 2 and 6 June 2008).

See also ECOSOC Press Release:
http://www.un.org/News/Press/docs/2008/ecosoc6365.doc.htm on 18 July 2008.

"Under its item on science and technology for development, the Council
adopted, without a vote, one draft resolution and four draft decisions
contained in the report on the eleventh session of the Commission on Science
and Technology for Development (document E/2008/31).

By the resolution, on assessment of the progress made in the implementation
of, and follow-up to, the outcomes of the two-phase World Summit on the
Information Society (WSIS), held in Geneva December 2003, and in Tunis in
November 2005, the Council noted that, while in general the digital divide
between developed and developing countries was shrinking, a new divide was
emerging in terms of differences in quality and speed of access to
information and communications technology.

Among other things, the Council called on stakeholders to increase their
efforts to reduce the disparity in cost of access, through, for example, the
establishment of exchange points and the creation of a competitive
environment, both at the network and local levels.

The Council also called on stakeholders to increase efforts for funding of
and investment in information and communication technology, to advance
broadband access, including wireless access in areas and countries in which
it was still limited or nonexistent.  It also called on those actors to
continue to develop and disseminate easy-to-use applications and services
for mobile phones and related devices, especially those that are useful in
rural areas and work with low bandwidth and high latency.

The four draft decisions were on participation of non-governmental
organizations and civil society entities in the work of the Commission on
Science and Technology for Development at its twelfth and thirteenth
sessions; participation of academic entities in the work of that Commission;
the report of the Secretary-General on science, technology and innovation to
be submitted to the Commission at its twelfth session; and the report of the
Commission on its eleventh session and provisional agenda and documentation
for the twelfth session of the Commission.''

I also want to take the opportunity of this message to inform you that I
will shortly leave the CONGO Secretariat to join the Geneva office of
another international NGO. It's been a great pleasure and a wonderful
experience to work with you all for those past 3 years - already!! - and I'm
sure that, as I'll remain involved in UN processes connected to human
rights, I'll cross many of you on the occasion of your participation in some
WSIS related meetings in Geneva! Note that CONGO will maintain its
monitoring of post WSIS processes and support to CS participation in them.
More news coming soon.

I'll also join the CS Plenary list shortly through my personal e-mail
address, so that we will certainly keep in touch!

Best,

Philippe

Philippe Dam
CONGO - Information Society &