[governance] Issues concerning standing IGC members

Yehuda Katz yehudakatz at mailinator.com
Sun Jul 27 23:31:31 EDT 2008

Carlos,

We are discussing Voting via the "Internet Voting" as opposed to "Electronic
Voting" (Poll Hardware / DRE).

I understand that the Brazilians have made significant headway in "Electronic
Voting", paperless etc.

My discourse is with pure "Internet Voting", such as we are part-taking in
here.
-

I will reference one incident in 2006:

Brazilian E-Vote Techie Jailed in Ecuador
http://cbrayton.wordpress.com/2006/10/20/brazilian-e-vote-techie-jailed-in-ecuador/

And here the Authorities used "Hand Counting" to recount the vote, which means
paper was involved. I will also point out that Paper is also used as the People
check into the Polls to access the DRE machines, as part of formal registration
processes.
-

It is interesting to read about Brazil's e-vote and 'The Supreme Electoral
Court' Regulations for voting, and its reaching effects.
[the TSE, the Portuguese acronym for Tribunal Superior Eleitoral]

Ref.:

Brazil: Blogs banned from the 2008 elections [ENG]
http://www.globalvoicesonline.org/2008/03/30/brazil-blogs-banned-from-the-2008-elections/

Brasil: Blogues são proibidos nas eleições 2008 [PT]
http://pt.globalvoicesonline.org/2008/03/30/brasil-blogues-sao-proibidos-das-eleicoes-2008/

Brasil: Prohíben blogs en las elecciones del 2008 [ES]
http://es.globalvoicesonline.org/2008/04/04/brasil-prohiben-blogs-en-las-elecciones-de-2008/

-

Electronic voting
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electronic_voting