[governance] IGC members list

Parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Sun Jul 20 22:22:31 EDT 2008

Adam

> Parminder, Hi, this is very interesting.
>
> However, could you please draw up a ballot.

I draw your attention to my email of 15th. To quote my email

"I have every intention to uphold the charter, in the best possible manner,
in the matter of voting process as well, reconciling any apparent
contradiction as they may appear to different people. My proposal for this
will be presented after the 17th when this round of membership list building
will be completed."

I also said

"I am not intervening is this discussion on_the_issue_of_the_voting_process
because, as I mentioned in an earlier email, some of these discussions have
been confusing list participants a lot in terms of the primary task being
done at this stage which is to prepare a members list as per the charter."

So can you please just wait for my proposal on this and trust my word that I
will "uphold the charter in the best possible manner".

And it is not that in the meantime I am not doing some important caucus
work. For you drawing up the members list as per the charter conditions may
be merely 'very interesting' but I think it is a central organizational
activity for the caucus. And it is not an easy task to keep track of all the
emails I receive from around 120 members, seeking clarification, clarifying
issues, building an appropriate list, opening it for comments before
finalization etc. And I am doing all this as I am traveling.

>>I will keep this list open for 2 more days, for anyone to comment on
>>his or her exclusion or inclusion.

>No, that's not your decision.

What is not my decision? To keep a list open to corrections etc before
announcing it as the standing IGC members list on the day?? How/ Why?
And you would of course have read the next sentence in my email " The list,
however, remains open for inclusion of new members at all times."

> Please read the charter and follow what it instructs you to do.

Thanks for your advice. I do read the charter often.

I also requested in my mail

" For many reasons that I have argued a few times earlier, and will mention
again in my email after the 17th, it will help us greatly at this stage if
we see these two issues 'separately' - (1) the issue of preparing a members
list as per the charter and (2) voting process for electing a new
co-coordinator, also as per the charter."

You have the complete right to post whatever you wish anytime to the list
but I must observe that this present email too does add to the confusion at
the stage when some members are still in the process of confirming IGC
membership, which I had requested to avoid.

Meanwhile, I must also remind you that you had advised me to make a members
list in your email dated 23rd April which I quote.

"If someone has been subscribed to the list for two months they should be
sent an email asking them if they wish to become a member of the caucus and
if they subscribe to the IGC charter (which means they have read the charter
<http://www.igcaucus.org/IGC-charter_final-061014.html > and accept the
provisions of the charter.)  If they answer yes, they are members and can be
added to a member list." (Adam)

Parminder

     governance at lists.cpsr.org