[governance] [process] the IGC charter

Nyangkwe Agien Aaron nyangkweagien at gmail.com
Mon Jul 14 13:14:01 EDT 2008

Jeanette wrote

" was even a bit proud of the growing subscriber list and the fact
that we got more and more non civil society lurkers who found our
debates relevant enough to listen on a regular basis".
That is exactly my opinion and I made it on this forum last year. I
even beckoned participants to clearly identify themselves as elements
that they provide on this debates are news wordy and Journalists do
tap from. However, the element of clear and convincing sourcing
appeared to be one troubling factor; hence my appeal.

"A seperation of the two functions of this list seems a potential
death knell to me."

Yes Jeanette, you have man and the mad quest for class identity. It
has been a conundrum the world over. I do not see why some people are
labouring themselves in trying to fizzle in a class element in an all
inclusive forum as the Internet governance caucus.

Like Russia and China, I veto against such a move and...let slepping dogs lie.

Cheers

Aaron

On 7/14/08, Jeanette Hofmann <jeanette at wzb.eu> wrote:
> Hi, I agree with what Bill recommends regarding the voting procedure, which
> is:
>
> So I'd follow the rules
> > for the election and afterwards try to see if those who've affirmed their
> > membership can't have a useful discussion of what they want the caucus to
> be
> > and perhaps amend the charter if there's sufficient support for that.
>
> However, I am not in favor of Bill's idea to create a formal seperate space
> for the caucus members. This list has always been a somewhat odd hybrid of a
> general platform for disussing IG related topics and a civil society space
> for agreeing on advocacy positions. When I was co-chairing the caucus, I was
> even a bit proud of the growing subscriber list and the fact that we got
> more and more non civil society lurkers who found our debates relevant
> enough to listen on a regular basis. I wouldn't want to jeopardize the
> general platform function of this list. On the contrary, I would do anything
> possible to ensure high quality discussions that make it worth listening. A
> seperation of the two functions of this list seems a potential death knell
> to me.
>
> jeanette
>

> William Drake wrote:
> > Hi
> >
> > On 7/13/08 8:06 PM, "Avri Doria" <avri at psg.com> wrote:
> >

> > > - there is no intrinsic harm in asking people to say they agree with
> > > the charter.  in fac as a step between elections as a way to include
> > > mew people as members it is a good idea.
> > >

> > Agree
> >

> > > - The charter requires that the vote be sent to all subscribers and
> > > that in the act of voting they (re) affirm their membership as CS and
> > > in the IGC as defined in the charter.  To use this list as is proposed
> > > by the coordinators, to define who can receive a ballot, is in breach
> > > of the charter as i read it.
> > >

> > Avri is right that the charter says this, there can be no denying it, it's
> > clearly stated.  However, I also think it's a real flaw in the charter,
> one
> > which I wish in retrospect we'd debated more seriously when we wrote the
> > thing. I recognize that there are those who prefer the caucus to be an
> > amorphous blob---in McTim's words, a "zenlike/anarchic" space one can
> decide
> > to be in or not "in the moment" depending on the weather, whether they had
> > nice lunch and are feeling mellow, etc.  But a grouping based on this
> > shallow a level of commitment to shared values and positions is unlikely
> > be able to agree or achieve much of anything, and indeed the caucus has
> > struggled post-WSIS in part because of it.  It's certainly not how I
> thought
> > of the caucus when I joined five years ago (suspect the same holds for
> some
> > others here), nor is it the zeitgeist of other, more effect ICT-oriented
> [...]

Aaron Agien Nyangkwe
Journalist/Outcome Mapper
Special Assistant To The President
Coach of ASAFE Camaroes Street Football Team.
ASAFE
P.O.Box 5213
Douala-Cameroon
Tel. 237 3337 50 22