AW: [governance] [process] the IGC charter

Kleinwächter, Wolfgang wolfgang.kleinwaechter at medienkomm.uni-halle.de
Mon Jul 14 12:27:58 EDT 2008

Dear list,

after reading all the recent mails and rethinking various arguments I tend to support Jeanette.

First priority for the IGC should be to have a discussion platform as open and inclusive as possible. This creates unavoidably some problems, as we have seen the recent years. But regardless of all the personal battles the list produces enough good arguments, information and links so a lot of people benefit. This is of key importance. And this shuld be the overriding principle and guideline.

Procedural issues - like elections - are certainly also important but procedures have to serve the purpose. Insofar I could live with very pragmativc procedures, as long as they serve the main purpose of the list:To promote, stimulate and, where needed, steer open and bottom up debates on IG issues from a civil society perspective.

But let me use this opportunity also to remind both oldies and newbies on the list about the IGC history. It is worth to remember  where the IGC comes from. Without WSIS, no IGC.

IG was originally no issue in the WSIS context during PrepCom1 (Geneva, July 2002). This changed during PrepCom2 (Geneva, Febaruary 2003. As a result of the series of regional Ministerial Conferences (in particular the meeting in Beirut) various governments discovered IG as a big issue and pushed for it during PrepCom2. This was the moment, when some individuals immeditaly argued that IG needs the full involvment of non-governmental stakeholders, and in particular of individual Internet users and civil society.
see: http://www.itu.int/wsis/docs/pc2/inf/workshop/flyer3.doc

At this time, the organisational and institutional level of CS in WSIS was rather low. Alan and Lousie proposed (top down) a IG bureau, other proposed, bottom up a Content & Themse CS Working Group which should include working groups from the various fields of interests - from media to oprivacy, from IP to financing. .

This was the moment (in the ILO building in Geneva in February 2003)) when YJ and I myself pushed for something like an IG caucus and co-chaired it until the end of the geneva phase. The main purpose (and practical need at this time) was to create a flat institutional network which would be able to channel CS input on Internet Governance issues into the intergovernmental WSIS process. Before that there was just a bunch of engaged individuals which were mainly ignored by governments regardless of the good points they raised in individual statements. The recognition and the power of the IGC came with its structured approach, its specific knoweldge and expertise and its linkage to the ground.  It was like the re-invention of ICANNs At Large movement which was killed in 2002.

One of its first success was to open the intergovernmental WG on IG issues in Paris during the WSIS Interim PrepCom (July 2003) in the famous night session in UNESCOs HQ basement when CS people were confronted governmental representatives - who wanted to extend the principle of national sovereignty and state control over the Internet - with arguments on the borderless nature of the cyberspace, procedurs for IP address alocation, the DNS and the P2P principle..This helped a lot to change to tone of the debate.

The IGC raised its voice louder and louder on the way to Geneva (December 2003) and became a serious key player, in particular in PrepCom3++ before the Summit where the idea of the WGIG emerged and its mandate was drafted. This para. gave for the first time CS a clear defined role in IG in the WSIS process and paved the way for CS representatives in WGIG (which developed within  WGIG the idea of the IGF).

Jeanette and Adam, who took over in Geneva, pushed it further foreward and the IGC was exremely successful in  contributing the the Tunis compromise, including the IGF. This was in particular the case during PrepCom3 (Geneva September 2005) when, inter alia,  Jeanettes key statement on the final day (with a EU-US controversy in the background) convinced Ambassador Khan to reconsider his planning for PrepCom3+ and to negotiate the final compromise until the bitter end in the plenary which allowed CS to stay in the room until the deal was done. Jeanette and Adam can be proud that the IGC grew under their leadership and got this high recognition.

When Parminder und Vittorio overtook the leadership after Tunis, we realized soon that it became more and more complicated to move forward without more defined procedures and we entered into this phase were proecedural and substantial discussions became mixed. I was also very disappointed that Vittorio more less disappeared leaving a gap in the leadership.

However, at the end of the day also in the post Tunis phase the IGC was able to play a rather significant role in the IGF process, which started in 2006 with prepared statements in the Geneva consultations, representation in the MAG and workshops in Athens and Rio. So thanks Parminder for helping this done.

With this history the new leadership faces a big challenge. Even if I did not register and have obviously no vote now I would express my support for both Ian and Michael. Both are involved in the debates since years, they know the issues and have the international standing and recognition to be respected by the community also ouside the CS groups.

IG today is broader than IGF. We saw recently the OECD conference (where Michael was involved). We will have national ansd regional IGFs. And we will have an At Large Summit within ICANN in Mexico in March 2009. And there will be an ITU World Telecommunicaiton Policy Forum also in March 2009. In all these events, the IGC neds a strong voice. This is a great opportunity and I hope that regardless of all the day-to-day-confrontation collective wisdom will overcame and we will be able to continue this IGC success story.

Best regards

Wolfgang