[governance] ISP liability - a critical IG issue

Roland Perry roland at internetpolicyagency.com
Tue Jul 8 08:58:00 EDT 2008

In message <48735D53.2000100 at googlemail.com>, at 09:28:03 on Tue, 8 Jul
2008, Daniel Oppermann <dan.oppermann at gmail.com> writes
>European politicians have voted in favour of amendments to telecoms law
>which campaigners say could be used to curb privacy online and
>file-sharing.
>
>http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/7495085.stm

Frankly, there's such a big disconnect between the various claims here
that we should take a step back and wait for the dust to settle.

How can the same measure be intended to enhance emergency service access
to caller location data *and* also implement a "three strikes" rule?

All I can guess at this stage (understandably I haven't had time to read
all the 1000+ individual amendments, nor do I yet know which ones passed
and which didn't) is that being able to locate mobile Internet users
makes it easier to send them a "cease and desist" letter (assuming the
private sector gets access to the same data as the emergency services)?
Or have I got the wrong end of the wrong stick?
--
Roland Perry
     governance at lists.cpsr.org