[governance] IPv4-v6 - "coexistence" not transition - operational issues surfacing

Izumi AIZU iza at anr.org
Wed Feb 20 11:20:57 EST 2008

At the Delhi ICANN meeting, I had a lot of conversation on how to deal with
the depletion of remaining IPv4 address pool. Many experts in the technical
community are now saying that IPv4 based network will not go away in
the near future, if not forever, and therefore there is a need to ensure
the coexistence and interoperability of the IPv4 and IPv6 networks and
their applications.

This may pose a serious challenge. As there do not seem sufficient works
to examine if all IPv4 based network applications, including firewalls or
network management tools, are interoperable with IPv4 based networks.

We/they had focused too much on the "allocation" of IPv4 and/or v6, but
now the focus should shift to "network operation" - of both v4 and v6.

At ICANN ALAC, we have started a policy working group on this issue,
and we are going to work on more. It still looks like a very technical
issue,
but the more I hear from various experst, the wider and deeper problems
look like to exist. And this is very much a user issue and public policy
matters
that we should care about.

If you are interested, please see the following page.

https://st.icann.org/ipv6-migration/index.cgi?at_large_ipv4_to_ipv6_migration_policy

There is a very good presentation prepared by the Japanese government,
with their findings from the Working Group.

It's abit lengthy, and PDF link, but worth to look at.
https://st.icann.org/data/workspaces/ipv6-migration/attachments/at_large_ipv4_to_ipv6_migration_policy:20080213104747-1-18800/files/IPV6%20MIC%20Dec%202007.pdf

best,

izumi