[governance] Reconstituting MAG (Tech/admin language)

Parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Tue Feb 19 08:35:24 EST 2008

> > specific cases. But yes the concerned person, and her network and groups
> > will have to do some thinking in case the person is too closely
> associated
> > with a policy making body.
>
> Too closely?
>
> So under your scheme, the caucus would have to think carefully about
> nominating people who, say, have played roles in ICANN, e.g. NomCom, ALAC,
> GNSO....?  When did the caucus become the Spartacus Youth League, I missed
> it...

Bill ,why don’t you tell us your views on these boundaries upfront. Are you
fine with the ICANN chair and CEO sitting in for CS... and I used the
present tense - "in case the person IS too closely associated with..." which
excludes people as you say "have played roles in ....". In fact I gave an
example of a CS person working on a substantial gov committee and then
coming back to CS role/ identity.

There must be some limit to the extent of association of a person with these
int orgs that will make us not agreeable to making that person a CS nominee.
Are you saying that there is no such limit in your mind. Well, I didnt know
that.  And if there is some limit whatsoever does it make us Sparatacus YL
(whatever it is).

> > TA calls them international organizations. So we have ground to build
> on.
>
> I think you need a more differentiated view of "them."  ICANN is an IO in
> terms of the TA (not necessarily a source of eternal wisdom, but
> whatever),
> but what about IETF, a ccTLD registry, or NANOG, ARIN, CERT/CC...it's not
> entirely obvious that the IO category captures all the orgs/collaborations
> involved in administrative functions that include the development and
> application of rule systems of inter/trans-national scope.

Yes we need to take a differentiated view, but not a NO view. I admitted
many times in the last few days that the new int orgs are unique in many
ways (that’s why are for instance less definitive about individuals playing
some degree of overlapping roles). And if "international organizations"
doesn’t not capture them all (though these regional/ national level orgs can
be represented through their global association etc, wherever possible) this
is the reason we are using the term internet organizations.

> I didn't say that I supported the first draft.  My position on the
> definitional issue is that it's complex (as evidenced by McTim's fuzzy
> math), unsettled, and unnecessary to resolve now,

I didn’t say you supported the first draft. What you said was, to quote "...
while I always argued for the position reiterated in Parminder’s draft..."
So I just asked you to pl clarify what are these positions that you always
argued. Because I am really not able to make them out from these posting,
and in case nothing seem remotely close to my draft. So will again ask -
what are these positions that you say you always argued, which as per the
context, I understand have to do with tech community's identity and
representation vis a vis fo CS, which you seem to have abandoned since the
'ship has set sail'.

> Even if those stakeholders do little things like, oh, developing and
> operating the Internet?  We're going to claim they're less deserving of
> representation than a small number of activists?  To be honest, this seems
> bit arrogant and deluded.  I'd rather just say CS is underrepresented than
> get into proposing what we think is an acceptable level of representation
> for some other grouping and ask the IGF and UN leadership to find a better
> balance.

Interestingly, my first draft never said anything about the
over-representation of Int orgs, in fact it spoke of over-representation of
governments.  To which your response was.

"At this point I’m inclined to support Adam’s view",

(and you quoted Adam as)
> My problem with the technical community isn't
> that they are represented, but there are too
> many.  11 or 12 I think, with only 6 or 7 from
> private sector and civil society respectively.
> And I think people generally recognize a close
> alignment between the private sector and
> technical community (it is certainly apparent
> inside the MAG.)  So I would rather see a
> rebalancing, for example with perhaps the tech
> community dropped to 5 or 6 of the roles McTim

So, you apparently agreed to mention over-representation and also perhaps a
number which would be appropriate representation. I changed my text as per
Adam's response and your endorsement of it.

Hence,
> insisting that we adopt a particular meta-answer now is to me premature
> and
> a total distraction from the main point, which should be to simply say
> that
> CS is underrepresented on the mAG.

As Meryem said just saying CS in under represented and there should be a
better balance is, well...

And if you think that this discussion, and a possible statement, on the
nature and representation and legitimacies and proportions of different
groups that should constitute MAG, which is the centerpiece of  a new global
governance body, when this body's structure is officially being discussed is
a 'total distraction', sure, it is up to us to choose our priorities...

It also amounts, or may be perceived
> amount, to picking an unnecessary fight with a substantial range of actors
> with whom we should be trying to build bridges rather than fetishizing
> differences.

Building bridges does not mean forgetting one own priorities and interests.
I don’t think Indian gov will be too amused wit the ITfC's input on MAG
chair issue asking for host country to only have  a deputy chair, but we
think it addresses a bigger issue. Bridges are fine without compromising the
interests we represent.

And speaking of brides we need also be cognizant what these positions and
attitudes of ours do to the bridges that we need to be more interested in
building - with the wider CS constituencies. Have you given consideration to
that in the context of the matter of the present discussion? I remain very
worried on that count.

Lastly coming back to the matter of a caucus statement
a caucus
> statement purporting to do so based the assent of a very small number of
> people will not have much credibility or influence or be particularly
> advantageous.

I am going to count only those who respond to this discussion, which is
going on for a long time now, and not those who for whatever reason choose
not to. I understand that you have stated that some otherwise active members
(I don’t know whom you are referring to) are not responding to this
discussion. I can understand that someone doesn’t agree with something in
the statement etc but not to respond to the discussion, what does it mean.
Is this discussion itself below the dignity of those who refuse to
participate in it. CS activity is based on open dialogues, and at no point I
saw this discussion go to the levels that will make it anyway really
unpleasant for anyone to participate. So, as I said I have  a lot of people
giving constructive views, I have counted 2 people who have this ICANN is CS
view and are generally not inclined to any references to int org
representation. Yes, today Lee came in with the view that we may avoid
mentioning anything about int orgs representation, and I am now seeing that
you also look inclined to that view. 2 people's dissent was fine, but yes
with Lee and your input today it looks difficult for this part of the
statement to get into any kind of a shape for consensus. But I figure we
will still be trying.

Parminder

Parminder

     governance at lists.cpsr.org