[governance] Reconstituting MAG (Tech/admin language)

McTim dogwallah at gmail.com
Tue Feb 19 09:12:18 EST 2008

On Feb 19, 2008 4:35 PM, Parminder <parminder at itforchange.net> wrote:

> > > specific cases. But yes the concerned person, and her network and groups
> > > will have to do some thinking in case the person is too closely
> > associated
> > > with a policy making body.
> >
> > Too closely?
> >
> > So under your scheme, the caucus would have to think carefully about
> > nominating people who, say, have played roles in ICANN, e.g. NomCom, ALAC,
> > GNSO....?  When did the caucus become the Spartacus Youth League, I missed
> > it...
>
> Bill ,why don't you tell us your views on these boundaries upfront. Are you
> fine with the ICANN chair and CEO sitting in for CS

Adam has just reminded me that the caucus nominated Paul Wilson as a
potential MAG member, he also reminded me that APNIC was listed as PS
in WSIS, so, going by our previous actions, we are "fine" with
selecting the DG (CEO) of an I* organisation as a CS rep on the MAG!!

I don't anything about the current ICANN chair, except the few nice
things I have read.  However, if you had asked a few months ago  "Are
you fine with the ICANN chair sitting in for CS", I would have said
"HELL YES, any organisation or group would be lucky to have the
"midwife' of the Internet representing them on any Internet Governance
forum."

Ian's formualtion seems to be the voice of reason here.

--
Cheers,

McTim
$ whois -h whois.afrinic.net mctim