[governance] Reconstituting MAG

linda misek-falkoff ldmisekfalkoff at gmail.com
Sun Feb 17 20:01:29 EST 2008

Parminder, appreciate the link to the discussion threads. I'll try to post
there later.  But immediately I, as one individual, resonate to what Jeremy
writes as follows:

----- begin quote -----:
"This abject lack of connection to ordinary Internet users will not be
redressed while the IGF continues to treat them as second class citizens.
Consider that whilst over a million dollars was invested in the Rio meeting,
the amount spent on the design and implementation of mechanisms for online
participation and on developing an online community around the IGF was
negligible. Similarly, whilst a series of open consultation meetings were
held to settle upon the form which the IGF's physical meeting was to take,
decisions about online engagement were made privately by the Secretariat
without consultation (even with the Online Collaboration Dynamic Coalition
that was formed for this purpose).

The need for the IGF to more tightly integrate the participation of the
remote Internet community with its processes has been repeatedly expressed.
Even before the IGF was formed, the Cardoso report on the United Nations and
civil society recommended that the UN "should experiment with a global
Internet agora to survey public opinion and raise awareness on emerging
issues." This requires a far higher priority to be accorded to online
community building than has occurred to date. "
--- end quote.

LDMF Comment:  here a pointer to the *Connectivity* issues. While not the
youngest chick in the hatchery and likely less agile than most here as
mutual contemporaries, I did work at it, and feel a HELP Desk is needed for
next time. I'd be interested if indeed helpful
And Jeremy, I was able to participate in both chat rooms simultaneously with
split screen, so it was available but I guess not officially , rather
through your magic, multiply multiplexing as you were.

Best wishes to all, Linda.
*Respectful Interfaces*.