[governance] communicating with our peers

Parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Tue Feb 12 04:03:03 EST 2008

I agree with Adam's suggestion of two lists - one open and the other closed.
The business conducted on the closed list should be listed and also
summarized, as appropriate. We can suggest further changes after assessing
how such an arrangement works over a period of time.

I also agree with Adam that complete public openness of MAG deliberations
may involve some very significant ramifications. The foremost is about the
level of participation of gov reps, who do hold a lot of power, in many
different ways. I am given to understand that their participation on the MAG
list is already very low. Will it further reduce with the new openness of
the list? What ramification does it has on MAG's capacity to make decisions
(which, in a politically diverse setting, almost always involve some
compromises) on substantive issues, which we hope it is able to do at some
time.

On the other hand we do want as much transparency as possible in global
public policy bodies.

Jeremy, you are speaking about a third possible list where MAG members
participate as well as anyone else. Will have to further explore the
viability of such a list in the present circumstances. MAG members may not
be too eager to be on such a list, what do you say, Adam.

Parminder

     governance at lists.cpsr.org