[governance] communicating with our peers

Adam Peake ajp at glocom.ac.jp
Tue Feb 12 04:59:46 EST 2008

>I agree with Adam's suggestion of two lists - one open and the other closed.
>The business conducted on the closed list should be listed and also
>summarized, as appropriate. We can suggest further changes after assessing
>how such an arrangement works over a period of time.
>
>I also agree with Adam that complete public openness of MAG deliberations
>may involve some very significant ramifications. The foremost is about the
>level of participation of gov reps, who do hold a lot of power, in many
>different ways. I am given to understand that their participation on the MAG
>list is already very low. Will it further reduce with the new openness of
>the list? What ramification does it has on MAG's capacity to make decisions
>(which, in a politically diverse setting, almost always involve some
>compromises) on substantive issues, which we hope it is able to do at some
>time.

Worth remembering we've come a long way in just a few years. 4 or 5
years ago the caucus spent quite a bit if time wondering when the
govts would next ask us to leave the room, and how to use the 3
minutes speaking time we might have been given each day.

As Nitin's said a few times, governments are the ones being asked to
make the greatest changes in the ways they are used to working. This
probably explains why they tend to participate less in the MAG
(certainly on the mailing list, I think more contribute to the face
to face meetings.)

>On the other hand we do want as much transparency as possible in global
>public policy bodies.
>
>Jeremy, you are speaking about a third possible list where MAG members
>participate as well as anyone else. Will have to further explore the
>viability of such a list in the present circumstances. MAG members may not
>be too eager to be on such a list, what do you say, Adam.

Most of us are already on many lists.  I can see a third list being
attractive in an ideal world, but means there would be the MAG list,
the CS list(s) (for me, others would be on their own "stakeholder"
lists), and then a new third list. I'm just not sure how much to ask
of volunteers.

Adam

     governance at lists.cpsr.org