[governance] communicating with our peers

Ian Peter ian.peter at ianpeter.com
Sun Feb 10 15:21:24 EST 2008

Linda suggested –

Does it help - do you think -  if all those in the more admin and decisional
body are also in the more general list, sometimes called a member list?

Personally, I don’t think that matters. Given a choice of two places to
write to the same group of stakeholders, and knowing that in the second
place the public ire is less likely to be raised on a contentious matter,
most of us will choose the more private list. Nothing wrong with that, it’s
just the way things are for almost all of us.

Adam responded

Could this tendency be avoided if before a thread's started on the closed
list or moved to the closed list there must be a note about this on the open
list. All would then know there was a discussion going on, and at some point
it would be summarized back (in some form).  If the closed list were used to
excess then it should be obvious.

In my opinion the good thing that has happened is that a degree of
commitment to openness has been adopted by the MAG. That’s the good news,
and maintaining the commitment to that is what’s important. I don’t think
any particular procedure will remove the need for members committed to
openness (like Adam) to continue to ensure that summaries are posted from
time to time. We have a good step forward with the latest offerings!

On 2/9/08, Ian Peter <HYPERLINK