[governance] Re: [IGP-ANNOUNCE] IGP Alert: Reforming ICANN

Lee McKnight lmcknigh at syr.edu
Thu Feb 7 06:53:19 EST 2008

Suresh,

Sorry to prick your bubble, but the IGF has already left the station, so
to speak.  It is on a trajectory that takes it right where we are
looking forward to, where it is more grown up and has a mature,
collegial, and critical role vis a vis ICANN and other actors.

I do agree that there is an inside-the-beltway element that must be
addressed, which as you may note is to whom the IGP proposal is made, ie
NTIA. Face time with the relevant DoC folks is a been there and done
that thing for us, which I agree does need to be done regularly still to
help get more oomph behind the proposal. But there is no need to lecture
us on how to play the game. As you may now have noticed, the ball is in
play ; )

Lee

Prof. Lee W. McKnight
School of Information Studies
Syracuse University
+1-315-443-6891office
+1-315-278-4392 mobile
>>> suresh at hserus.net 02/07/08 3:18 AM >>>
Milton L Mueller [06/02/08 16:39 -0500]:
>To say that there is no chance for movement or change in the status of
>ICANN is flat wrong, and a measure of your own distance from the

Call me an external observer. Just because I dont play in the same
political shell games that you play, and think are of enormous
significance
doesnt mean I dont keep tabs on these.

>political realities of the situation. (by the way, did you know that
>there will be a new Presidential administration in the US by Sept.
>2009?)

Yeah. And the influences on DoC are going to change just how, because
you'll get Hilary, Obama or McCain in the white house?

And your IGP position papers (sorry, your IGP innuendoes, I should have
said) are going to make one whit of difference just how, with a democrat
administration in power?
'
>It is rather odd to be lectured on tactics by someone who is both
>completely removed from any of the relevant political activity (you are

The politics you are playing are in the sort of sandlot where there's
far
far more talk than action. And you're not going to get much traction
from
anybody else. And democrat, republican or hell, even ross perot in the
white house wont change things any.

I'm very sorry to prick your bubble but no, what you're thinking of is
not
going to fly. Ever.
     governance at lists.cpsr.org

     governance at lists.cpsr.org