[governance] Re: [IGP-ANNOUNCE] IGP Alert: Reforming ICANN

Lee McKnight lmcknigh at syr.edu
Thu Feb 7 15:01:07 EST 2008

McTim,

We're just talking about the loose, amorphous IGF, remember.

Jumping to 'multilateral government oversight' of ICANN from what IGP
has proposed is off target; it is not what we said, and not what we
meant.

Lee

Prof. Lee W. McKnight
School of Information Studies
Syracuse University
+1-315-443-6891office
+1-315-278-4392 mobile
>>> dogwallah at gmail.com 02/07/08 5:13 AM >>>
Apologies for the lack of completeness in my previous mail, it was a
draft which was sent by fat-fingeredness.

On Feb 7, 2008 11:30 AM, Suresh Ramasubramanian <suresh at hserus.net>
wrote:
> Jeremy Malcolm [07/02/08 17:25 +0900]:
> > What is your point?  That because the IGF "doesn't exist" it can't
exercise
> > soft governance over ICANN?  And you seek to differentiate the IETF
as a
> > counter-example on the basis that its governance of Internet
standards is
> > also soft?  I really don't see the distinction.
>
> Soft governance - possibly. Oversight - no. There aint no soft
oversight,
> trust me.

ACK.

In addition, the IETF (or any 3rd party for that matter) has NEVER
tried to have ICANN or any other net body "overseen" by the IETF.  So
nice try Milton, but no cigar.

It's not just me and Suresh, Avri weighed in with her objections as
well. As far as the "usual suspects" crack goes, I think we (and
others on this list) are centrists in the Internet community, and I
submit it is not the "usual suspects" who are the fringe element in
this discussion.

If anyone could point to a mail where we reached consensus on the fact
that we as IGC want multilateral governmental oversight to replace the
unilateral one currently in place, I'd appreciate it. Judging from my
off list mail, there are plenty of people taking us seriously!

--
Cheers,

McTim
$ whois -h whois.afrinic.net mctim