[governance] Re: [IGP-ANNOUNCE] IGP Alert: Reforming ICANN Oversight: A Historic Opportunity

Suresh Ramasubramanian suresh at hserus.net
Wed Feb 6 06:48:08 EST 2008

Parminder,

I'm simply being realistic here.  Do we expend all the energy of this group
tilting at a windmill that isn't going to budge all that fast?  And gets
moved by a completely different set of winds (aka a different set of
stakeholder communities that wield influence there)?

I'm an Indian, and you raised the question of the freedom struggle.  A whole
lot of people tried to beat the british using armed force - petty rulers,
people who shot a magistrate here, threw a bomb there etc .. did that help?
It was only when the Indian equivalent of civil society organized together
into a single party, with visible leaders and consensus (in this case, the
Indian National Congress) and got into the very system the British operated
to govern the country.

In other words, you wont be able to change this from outside, and won't be
able to change this by operating within the IGF, or submitting petitions and
releasing position papers.  You need to lobby DoC, and you need to lobby
within ICANN.  Whatever change will take place in ICANN, whatever decisions
on ICANN's governance get taken, will come from within ICANN and from within
DoC  - you are not going to find it easy or possible to wrest control from
DoC and reassign it to IGF.

ICANN is also, e&oe DoC oversight, a largely open and stakeholder driven
process.  There, just like IGF and elsewhere, those stakeholders who have
enough stake in ICANN to invest time, people and money to participate
actively in it get their views pushed forward ahead of civ soc views.  It
doesn't help that civ soc has pitifully inadequate representation there.

In other words, talking wont help.  Position papers, PhD theses etc wont
help either.  And nor will all the discussion help if it goes on in the IGF.
Taking this battle into ICANN and into lobbying DoC  is what is going to
help.

                suresh